Monday, October 30, 2006

OOPS Challenge Conclusions

OOPS stands for Optional Operating system Perfect Storm. For those unfamiliar with the OOPS Challenge, please read the original challenge and the challenge update.

Utilities and Applets
As discussed in the OOPS Challenge Update, I am surprised at the small number of Windows applications I use routinely. I am equally surprised at the large number of Windows applications I rely on though I use them infrequently. Some of the latter applications are more or less operating system utilities, some device driver enhancers, yet the fact that they are not built into Windows implies that in a Windows-Linux duopoly, hardware vendors will be faced with developing all these programs for two platforms. Examples include the HP applications for my scanner, the Acronis program for disk backups and a Quicken utility for online backup.

Then there are the applets. These include the various graphic editing programs I use from time to time, like Microangelo for icons, FastStone screen capture and the often overlooked Office component, Microsoft Picture Manager. There are also the handy set of widgets that I use powered by the Yahoo Widget Engine, which I actually use all the time but that seem like part of the background. And ePrompter, that lovely little email aggregator that I rely on for monitoring the status of my various email inboxes. I suppose there would be Linux versions of these, but that got me thinking about how many other applets are built in to Windows itself, like Paint, Write and Media Player, and how much leaner Linux is in its definition of what is in the OS and what that means for Linux users. I'm sure this hole will ultimately be filled by one or more web-based services that aggregate a complete set of robust open source applets such that they seem to the average user to be part of the OS. Some may ultimately become browser-based.

Reader Comments
Quite a few readers pointed out that they cannot easily separate their personal computing from their work-related computing. Thus the infrastructure of their employer drives them to Windows for various applications, most notably Microsoft Office and Visual Studio. This is the flip-side of one of the forces driving Linux towards achieving duopoly status, the strategic defection of large organizations to Linux. These are currently mainly governmental and outside the US (see Windows Versus Linux Part 1: How Do You Compete With Free). Employer infrastructure cuts both ways.

I have also heard from a number of you that there are others who are already "OOPSing." See Harry McCracken’s PC World article for an example.

Some readers were stymied by the fact Internet connectivity is not yet 100% available everywhere with sufficient reliability and performance, and at a low enough price. Some found themselves missing a viable browser-based alternative for an essential application. Others found that, like me, the file system remain a stumbling block. These added fuel to my conclusions.

Conclusions
My first conclusion was that we got the gating conditions right for the perfect storm that will usher in the Linux-Windows duopoly. These are the following:

1. Universal broadband Internet access, affordable by everyone with superb reliability and performance

2. Robust, full-featured browser-based applications in all categories that make the operating system GUI irrelevant

3. The evolution of the file system into a browser-based, search-based, location-independent paradigm, where local and online storage distinctions move to the background

From reader comments and my own experience, all three are necessary. All of my issues using browser-based applications in place of the major Windows applications I rely on would go away if these three conditions were met. Except for certain employer requirements, the issues raised by readers would also be taken care of.

I also believe that the network effect of widespread strategic Linux adoption, as discussed in my "Windows Versus Linux" posts, will handle the driver, utility and applet concerns.

The issue that emerged as something of a surprise, though it should not have been in retrospect, was the question of who I would trust with my data. If I were to use online applications and if the data were stored online, I realize that I need a high degree of confidence in the vendor. I want to feel sure that my data files will be available, private and secure. This means two things. First, I want to deal with solid providers who I believe are properly funded and will be around in the future. Second, I really want that evolved file system so I can store my files where I want, including locally.

Bottom line: it is only a matter of time.

Copyright © 2006 Philip Bookman

Technorati:

Labels: